Sunday, April 15, 2007

Ok...I am SO digging paperless caching

I talked my darling husband into giving me his pocket PC so I could try caching without fighting a sheaf of papers on a windy day. We tried it today for the first time while going looking for "Fields of Clover" and "Old Raleigh Cemetery"...it was so cool! I am going to LOOOOOOVE this.

We found Fields of Clover with very little trouble. I'm learning more about how to handle my GPS and what to look for that gives away the hides. There is a geotrail beginning to form to this particular cache, 3 months ago I probably wouldn't have investigated it, even if I HAD noticed it. Today, even though the tree cover was giving me some difficulty with my readings, I noticed the geotrail, followed it to where I thought I would hide a cache if it were me and BINGO! There she was. That felt pretty good.

We got to "Old Raleigh Cemetery" around 5 pm. I'm still not sure if we ever actually found the right entrance. The cache description said to look for a historic marker and there definitely wasn't one of those anywhere that we saw. In fact the sign was the lid to one of those large plastic storage boxes with the reflective mailbox letters on it that said "Raleigh Historic Cemetery". We went on in, thinking we'd find our way to the correct gate and then backtrack from there. Ultimately though the jungle-like undergrowth, complete with aggressive "wildlife" in the form of a fairly loud dog, proved a bit more than I felt like tackling that late in the afternoon with a skittish 9 year old along for the game. We'll talk to Spencersb at the meet and eat on Monday and get some insight and go after it again soon. Hopefully with a weedeater.

Speaking of the Meet and Eat. I'm so excited to finally meet some other geocachers. I've met cgeek and she's awesome. Its going to be nice to talk with folks that understand the addiction. I don't always get to see trippdyer and company at church and other than the CUMC Tech Teens crew that I've also gotten hooked on it most people look at me as if I've taken leave of my senses when I bring it up. Even explaining it doesn't get it across what's so attractive about tromping around a weed infested cemetery on a sunday afternoon looking for an ammo can or a tupperwear box full of "junk". Its going to be quite the challenge to avoid the "catch phrases" Geocaching, caching, geocache, cache, or geo and still get my fix of people who "get it" I'm afraid. LOL!

I want to spend some time tonight and tomorrow playing with designs for my patches and also maybe playing with the shrinkydink material for some "geocoins" for the Tech Teens. I did go back to hobby lobby on Saturday and buy some. It was just too cool to resist. :)

Guess that's all for now. Teribear out.

1 comment:

Mackheath said...

We are all looking forward to meeting you as well! And, yes - paperless caching is the best!