Sunday, April 08, 2007

2007 CUMC GPS Easter Egg Hunt - recap

After much plotting this is what I came up with:

Two teams - you saw the patches below.
Two sets of eggs in different camo colors (thank you Walmart).
8 locations (they came in packs of eight)
Each egg filled with a "congratulations you found it" sheet (in case someone else found it before my kids did) and a rubber stamp.
Each team had a GPSr, the hunt booklet and a stamp pad.
I was available to be a PAF if they got stuck.

On the morning of the hunt, I went out alone with the GPSr and placed the eggs and took a single reading of the location. If I had it to do again I'd have done that more carefully but I'm a beginner and I was in a time crunch. I had designed the booklet with a place for the stamps, the rules of the hunt and a place on the back to record the coords for the teams to enter into their GPSr's.

I placed the eggs at various locations around our church and, since we have a rather large campus, I placed the last four and the prize box in places on our campus. This got everyone back on campus for the birthday party that followed. One of my churchkids in team CUMC Tech Teens turned 16 today.

The teams arrived at 2 and were given a gallon ziplock bag containing their patches, their booklets and their stamp pads. And then they were off on the hunt and I was off to get the stuff together for the party.

The hunt ended up taking about 1 1/2 hours and everyone seemed to have a great time. Egg #3 gave them all a problem and they had to call for a hint but otherwise it seemed to be just about the right level of challenge. Team Purple found the prize box first but elected to re-hide it and wait until Team Pink completed the hunt and then everyone picked their prizes at the party. They're all wanting to know can we do it again next year...so I must have done something right. Smile

After the party we finished up the day by doing some loggable caches and we found MUM's The Word, team trippdyer found Fogleman's Revenge and we looked for Mama Mia without success but I'm going back to check on that tomorrow on another cache run.

To see pictures check out www.deltageo.com