Monday, April 16, 2007

No Geocaching Here - Event Cache

I attended my first event cache tonight. It was way cool to get to put faces with the names I've seen in logs and on cache pages for the last few months. Alicia (sskaysee - 1/2 anyway) said from the log it looked like we had something over 40 people present. It was great.

Tripp and the girls showed up late, Morgan had cotillion tonight. I hope they had fun. We overflowed the one room we were in and ended up spread all over the restaurant so I didn't get to talk to them as much as I would have otherwise.

Prior to the event Jessi, who has decided on J-bear97 as her caching name, and I spent the afternoon doing some caching in the area. We finally scored "This Park Rocks!" on our third attempt with a hint from Sprout. We had a lot of fun with "Llama Spits Again", not that we saw the llamas. We did however get to spend several minutes petting a very nice strawberry mare and we also got to see geese landing, turtles mating and a slew of ducks. Our second failed attempt at "rocks" did result in the collection of an entire walmart bag full of trash so we did our CITO duty for the day. We also got our first "skirt lifter LPC" with "Stevi's Cache" I must say, I think they're pretty cool.

No, its not the most exciting scenery, but its neat to think that there are things hidden in places like that, where a ton of people walk by all the time and have no idea they're there. It's like being in on a secret. Remember how it was when you were a kid? Or when your kids were little? And everything, every rock, every tree, every bug was fascinating? Its kinda like that. Geocaching brings that sense of childlike wonder back for me. I think that's why I do it. It lets me not have to "mom" for a little while. It lets me go back to being a kid with a treasure map only this time there really IS something where X marks the spot. Not like when we were playing pirates as kids and all we had for our effort was a big hole and some angry moms because we dug up their yards. And for my daughter, mom's not mad because she's along for the hunt. Its fun to just get out and play together.

I continue to plot where I'd like to do another hide. Like Timbercreek, I want it to be somewhere special. I've asked permission to place one at our church but thus far we have no answer. I'm afraid that the answer will be no. They're a bit nuts about avoiding liability. Sad but I guess that's the "nature of the beast" these days. I'll keep thinking and looking. When its time, it'll come.

I'm itching. I hope its windburn and not poison ivy/poison oak. I don't see any evidence of blisters yet and I'd think I would by now. It could be psychological from finding that stupid tick. I HATE THOSE THINGS!!!! I can find one, flick it off, do a thorough tick check and still itch for days just at the thought of it. EWWWWWWWWW! I was all up in the bush looking for "Sleepy Hollow" today. That's one that's going to have a DNF for awhile. I'm not about to try that one again until the fall. Too many ticks and poisonous plants.

Tomorrow I have to work. Bummer! I'm ready for school to be out, its cutting into my geocaching! LOL! But we have a lot to look forward to tomorrow. Its Ben and Jerry's free cone day! Its also VW club meeting. And of course, I'm planning on caching between the two events. :) Priorities you know. Speaking of priorities...sleep is becoming one. Terbear out.

No comments: