Monday, January 09, 2012

The Secret Holocaust Diaries

The Secret Holocaust Diaries: The Untold Story of Nonna BannisterThe Secret Holocaust Diaries: The Untold Story of Nonna Bannister by Nonna Bannister
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I grabbed this book off the recommendation from PixelofInk I didn't expect to find a hometown connection and a story of the Holocaust from a perspective I had never before encountered but that was just what I found and what kept me engaged throughout the book. I had a fascination with WWII in high school and I read many survivors accounts from the German perspective and the Jewish perspective over the years. I had never before encountered one from the Russian perspective. This is an important piece of history and I hope that the free kindle edition's availablity will give it a broad readership. These first person accounts become ever more important as the last of the survivors of the Holocaust and of the war itself are aging and dying. I wish I could have given it more than four stars. I think the parenthetical information inserted within the text to explain certain word choices or historical context interrupted the flow and would have been better if provided as end notes or in the case of this kindle format even as clickable links. Other than that I found this a very good read and an important piece of history.

View all my reviews

No comments: