Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bound for the Promise-Land

Bound for the Promise-LandBound for the Promise-Land by Troy D. Smith
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have had the pleasure of calling Troy D. Smith a friend since we were in middle school and I owned Bound for the Promise-Land in paperback when it first came out. I hadn't re-read it in years but when it came out for kindle it was one of my first purchases. Troy has a true gift for historical fiction...his characters, whether fictional or factual, are believable and fully "human" in the best sense of the word. Alfred Mann is one of my favorite characters. His evolution throughout the book is compelling. His search for his own humanity, for what it means to be "a man", for where God is in all he has endured, for what it means to be truly free is something anyone who has experienced love and loss, hurt and injustice can identify with. I highly recommend this book.

View all my reviews

No comments: