Saturday, June 09, 2012

Confessions of A Rebel Debutant







I picked this up on a weekend trip when I was looking for a little light reading. Anna Fields, who writes for "As The World Turns" has turned out a soap opera of a memoir. Being a southern woman but of a social strata well below that of the world of the Debutant set I was hoping for more of a glimpse into that culture and perhaps some reflection on what drives the "Deb" world. I really didn't get that. What I did get was a reminder that women are some of the most horrid creatures in the world when they are together in large same gender groups.

From the catty "mean girls" of her all girls "finishing school" to the crazy celebs and society women she profiles it seemed that Anna had only one true friend, Alma, and in the vein of all great southern tragi-comedies...she ends up dead.

It was an interesting read. Not at all what I expected but still worth a look.

No comments: