Friday, January 14, 2005

Assignment #23 -- Part One

Rewrite the fairy tale, Snow White, from the point of view of Bashful, one of the seven dwarves.

Bashful’s Tale

She was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. Her raven hair spilled across my bed like a coverlet as she slept sprawled carelessly across four of our beds. Her long black eyelashes lay like feathers against her flawless white skin. Her blood-red lips were barely parted revealing perfect even white teeth. Grumpy, true to his name, kicked the foot of his bed. Startled, she roused. Her eyes fluttered open and she blinked sleepily at the seven of us standing there.

“Why, you’re not children at all!” She exclaimed in surprise. “You’re little men!”

“’Course we ain’t children!” Grumpy snapped. “Who said we was children?” He sputtered. “Seems to me the more important issue here is WHO are you and WHAT are you doin’ in my bed!”

A scarlet blush stained her cheeks. “I’m so very sorry!” she stammered. “It’s just that I was so very tired and frightened after my escape that I took refuge here without a thought. I shall go on my way at once.” She rose and began to gather her few belongings.

Doc spoke up then. “Oh, don’t mind Grumpy. He’s just well, grumpy. You don’t have to leave right now. Its much to late in the evening for a lady to be in the forest alone” The rest of the boys voiced their agreement. I just blushed.

I look of relief crossed her face, “Thank you! Thank you ever so much.”

“But what’s your name, child?” Doc asked. “And how did you come to end up here?”

A look of profound sadness crossed her face. “My name is Snow White. My step-mother is the queen.” She said. “This morning she sent me into the woods with the royal huntsman. He told me that she’d told him to kill me and bring her my heart in a jeweled box. He couldn’t do it. He freed me instead. He planned to kill a deer and give its heart to the queen so that she would not know I still live.” Tears coursed down her cheeks and she shuddered a bit at the memory.

“I ran for a long time. Some animals found me in the glade and they led me here. I was too weary to go any farther. If you will let me stay I promise I won’t be a moment’s trouble. I can clean and I can cook. I’ll show you! Let me cook you some dinner while you wash up.” She said.

“WASH!” the boys exclaimed in horror. How long had it been since we’d actually washed? I couldn’t recall.

“Why of course.” she said smiling, “Surely you don’t plan to eat with those dirty hands? Doc, haven’t you taught the others about germs?”

For once it was Doc and not me that got caught tongue-tied and blushing. “’Course we’ll wash! Come on boys!” He blustered. He headed out the door and down the hill to the stream. We followed along.

Grumpy grumbled, “Women! She hasn’t been here a day yet and here we are takin’ a bath! It’s not been a year since my last one! No trouble she says. HAH!”

.... To be continued.

No comments: